Potato Kugel

This is a recipe based on another recipe from a neighbor who lives in the same apartment building as my parents. Her daughter used to be one of my babysitters when my brother and I were growing up. This potato kugel, or pudding as some people call it, is very easy to make if you have a food processor (I'm sure that wasn't how it was supposed to be prepared years ago, but I value the skin on my knuckles too much.) I used egg substitute instead of real eggs and reduced the amount of oil that the original recipe called for, but I don't think it sacrificed the flavor. I hope you enjoy it too!



Potato Kugel
Makes 15 squares

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 cup fat-free egg substitute
3/4 cup matzo meal
1 large vidalia onion, grated
2 Tbsp canola oil
Salt and black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spray a 13- x 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared pan. Bake until browned on top and firm, about 45 minutes. Let cool about 15 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.



(Each square is 2 points.)

Comments

Popular Posts