Ode to Candy Corn

Oh, candy corn, how I long for you,
As soon as your sweet stripes come into view,
I find myself sampling one or even two.
Although I can never stop at one,
Walking past that teeming bowl I’m done,
Then I admit my weakness, and you have won.

OK, not my best poem, but you have to admit, those little candy kernels taste like pure sugar (no seriously, they are). It’s all I can do to keep to a single portion size (22 candy corn equals 2 WW point, and they're fat-free).

Today, October 30th, is National Candy Corn Day, and according to the National Confectioners Association, candy corn has been around for more than 100 years. And they seem to be on the shelves earlier and earlier in the season. I think it was early September or even August when I saw the first bags on the shelves at the local CVS.

This fall season you can add candy corn to any sweet recipe. Top your favorite cupcakes with a handful of candy corn, roll just-dipped caramel apples in candy corn or add this sweet candy to your favorite popcorn snack mix.

Candy corn has always been a favorite of mine. There are many versions these days, such as the “Thanksgiving blend” which has the brown ends instead of the yellow (which my friend Karen likes the best), but to me, it just tastes like candy corn that has fake chocolate added. Give me my candy corn pure, don’t mess with the perfection of sugar, corn syrup and other ingredients that I can’t even spell! I’m sure when I get around to having kids, candy corn will still be on the shelves (although, I hope it’s not the same bags that are around today, but then again, they do last a long time).

Comments

Popular Posts