Pesto Sauce

I'm hoping to get to use more of the basil from my garden, but as the weather starts to get cooler, my basil patch is getting thinner. I realized that I haven't utilized it enough this season. So, I grabbed a bunch of basil and made some pesto. It is actually easier than I thought it would be. And, a little goes a long way. You don't need to use a lot of cheese either, as long as you use fresh and grate it yourself. Also, toasting the pine nuts adds to the nutty flavor. I like to add the tablespoon serving to a 1/4 cup of roasted diced tomatoes. It's a wonderful sauce for pasta and very tasty!



Pesto Sauce
Makes 4 tablespoons

2 tbsp pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
2 clove garlic, peeled
1 tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp olive oil

Heat a small skillet over medium-hight heat. Add the pine nuts. Heat until toasted and slightly brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool.

Add the basil leaes, garlic, Parmesan and toasted pine nuts to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture is chopped. Add the olive oil and process until mixture is combined completely, about 30 seconds.

(Each serving is 1 tablespoon, which is 3 pts. For a teaspoon serving, it's 1 pt.)

Comments

Popular Posts