Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pesto Sauce

I'm hoping to get to use more of the basil from my garden, but as the weather starts to get cooler, my basil patch is getting thinner. I realized that I haven't utilized it enough this season. So, I grabbed a bunch of basil and made some pesto. It is actually easier than I thought it would be. And, a little goes a long way. You don't need to use a lot of cheese either, as long as you use fresh and grate it yourself. Also, toasting the pine nuts adds to the nutty flavor. I like to add the tablespoon serving to a 1/4 cup of roasted diced tomatoes. It's a wonderful sauce for pasta and very tasty!



Pesto Sauce
Makes 4 tablespoons

2 tbsp pine nuts
1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
2 clove garlic, peeled
1 tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp olive oil

Heat a small skillet over medium-hight heat. Add the pine nuts. Heat until toasted and slightly brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool.

Add the basil leaes, garlic, Parmesan and toasted pine nuts to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture is chopped. Add the olive oil and process until mixture is combined completely, about 30 seconds.

(Each serving is 1 tablespoon, which is 3 pts. For a teaspoon serving, it's 1 pt.)

No comments: