Italian Meat Loaf

I haven't always been a fan of meatloaf. I remember my Mom used to make meatloaf for my Dad, and I never wanted any part of it. I don't know what she put into it, but it wasn't for me. I have made meatloaf for myself, many different versions, but it wasn't until a few years ago. This version tastes like a giant meatball, and I love it! I could have eaten the whole thing (or at least half), but a single serving is 2 slices.



Italian Meatloaf
Serves 4 (two slices per serving)

1.25 pounds meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal)
1 large egg
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon minced garlic (equal to 2 cloves)
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
1/3 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Place the meatloaf mix, egg, bread crumbs, milk, tomato paste, garlic and Italian seasoning. Mix lightly with your hands to combine (don't work the mix too much or it will be dense). Transfer beef mixture to the prepared baking sheet and form into a meatloaf shape. Spoon 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over the top.

Bake meatloaf until browned around the edges and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread the top of the meatloaf with the remaining spaghetti sauce and sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese. Bake until mozzarella is melted, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.

Comments

JenB said…
I'll have to give this a try ... as in "making" it a try, as I am not a meatloaf fan (I don't eat any ground meat ... never had hamburger). Hubby would probably like this though.
Anonymous said…
MMMMM mmmmm
Unknown said…
You can do this with ground bison and it tastes just as good!

Popular Posts